Tracy L. Marshall, Recorder email
June L. Brady, Deputy email
Contact the Hancock County Recorder's Office
855 State Street
P.O. Box 70
Garner, Iowa 50438-0070
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The office of County Recorder was created in 1839 by the first
Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Iowa. The Recorder continues
to maintain official records of documents affecting title to real estate.
Many of the duties performed by other offices in the courthouse depend
on the work performed by the Recorder's Office. Every real estate transaction
that takes place starts in the Recorder's Office. One of the major duties
of the office is the management of public records so accuracy and responsible
preservation of records are a must for the Recorder. The instruments that
are recorded are not only important for today, but serve as a historical
library for all of the tomorrows. The office is a service-oriented office
with a large variety of duties.
Recorders/Registrars process valuable information concerning:
Lands and Records Management
• Assignments, Releases
• Federal and State Tax Liens
• Plats & Surveys
• Section Corner Certificates
• Military Service Records
• Trade Names
• 28E & Drainage Agreements
• Bills of Sale
• Articles of Incorporation
• Financing Statements
• Other Numerous Documents
Related links & forms:
Iowa Department of Revenue
of Value Instructions
Estate Transfer Tax Table
Water Hazard Statement Form
Water Hazard Statement Instructions
Water Hazard Statement Attachment Form 542-0960a
• Issues Marriage Licenses
• Registers Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates
• Certifies Vital Records
Related links & forms
Iowa Department of Public Health
Vital Record Request
Licenses - Registrations - Applications
• Boat Registrations/Titles/Liens
• Snowmobile Registrations/Titles/Liens
• ATV Registrations
• Hunting and Fishing Licenses
• Fur Harvester Licenses
• Habitat, Duck and Trout Stamps
• Deer and Wild Turkey Applications
• Landowner/Tenant Gun & Archery Permits
Related links & forms
Department of Natural Resources
for ATV, Boat, Snowmobile, ORV registration/title/lien
Bill of Sale(casual)
for ATV, Boat, Snowmobile, ORV
• Collects real estate transfer tax on conveyances of property,
a portion which is retained in Hancock County's general fund.
• Performs federal and state tax lien searches and research of current
records for the public.
• Collects and reports auditor's fee on transfer of property.
• Certifies recorder's records.
• Makes records available for genealogy research.
• Files detailed reports monthly and annually to the county and
to state agencies.